Tips for Field Service Contractors During the COVID-19 Pandemic
With multiple home visits each day, field service contractors need to work with extreme care. Knowing the steps to take in order to protect themselves and the homeowner is paramount. The tips below are some guidelines to help you.
- Check the temperature for all your technicians daily. Encourage employees to stay home if feeling ill.
- Communicate with the customer prior to arrival. Ask if everyone in the house is healthy. This is also a good time to let them know of additional safety procedures that will be taken on the job.
- Wear a mask if working inside of the recommended social distancing zone of 6ft. Be sure to dispose of mask and wash hands after removal.
- Wear gloves. Remember to remove safely from the bottom and dispose. If they’re reusable gloves, they should be worn to clean and disinfect surfaces for COVID-19 and not for other purposes. Clean hands after the use of gloves.
- Wear protective glasses. Virus particles are mostly transmitted through the nose and mouth but can also be transmitted through the eyes.
- For workers who must do their jobs inside of a customer’s home, be sure to avoid touching surfaces as much as possible.
- Avoid touching your face without washing hands first.
- Hands should be washed with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are unavailable, the use of 60% alcohol hand sanitizer may be used.
- Avoid sharing tools with coworkers and be sure to sanitize tools with cleaning agents that fight against viral pathogens (use soap and water if cleaning agents are not available).
- Routinely clean and disinfect all frequently used surfaces for example doorknobs, telephones and workstations.
Due to the constantly evolving situation, please be sure to check with your local state and health departments. The CDC website is also a good resource. Stay safe and be well.